EEA Registration Certificates

EEA Registration Certificate

A Registration Certificate is a document issued to an EEA national to confirm their residence status in the United Kingdom. It can be issued an EEA national who is a qualified person. A qualified person is a:

  • A worker;
  • A self-employed person;
  • A student;
  • A jobseeker; or
  • A self-sufficient person

It can also be issued to the EEA family members of the qualified person. An EEA national does not need a registration certificate to live in the UK unless they are the extended family member of the qualified person. Extended family members include the qualified person’s:

  • brother or sister
  • cousin
  • aunt or uncle
  • niece or nephew
  • relative from a different generation, such as a great-aunt, great-nephew or second cousin
  • relative by marriage
  • unmarried partner in a lasting relationship

An extended family member must apply for a registration certificate. Other EEA nationals, including qualified persons, may wish to apply for a registration certificate as confirmation of their residence status. It may also assist with a future application for permanent residence.

Contact us

Contact us to speak to our EAA law experts for advice of assistance on any EEA matter. Please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about EEA requirements).