Parent of a Child

Parent of a Child in the UK

You can apply for a visa as a parent of a child in the UK if the child is a British citizen or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK. This child must be under 18 at the time of the application and the applicant must have a genuine parental relationship with the child as well as sole responsibility for their upbringing or rights of access to the child. If the child lives with their other parent you must show that you are not the partner of the other parent.

There are other requirements under this visa route, including English language and maintenance and accommodation requirements. Applications can be made from within the UK or abroad. If you meet all the requirements you will be placed on a 5-year route to settlement. If you apply from within the UK and cannot meet all the requirements your application can still be successful however you will be placed on a 10-year route to settlement.

How can we help you?

We have many years’ experience with applications for leave to enter or remain in the UK as the parent of a child. We have in depth knowledge not only of the immigration rules but also of the Home Office’s internal policy guidance which governs these types of application, giving you the best possible chance of success.

We will provide you with a fixed fee quotation which will include all our consultations with you and the taking of detailed instructions. We tell you ever document that you must submit with the application and we will assess your documents to check that they meet the specified requirements. We will prepare legal arguments as well as statements from you and your family members all of which will form part of the completed application pack.

Contact us

If you would like to contact us about your case and to discuss how we can help you, please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about immigration requirements).