Skilled Worker visa

Skilled worker visa

The Skilled Worker visa is the main route for people to come to the United Kingdom to take up employment. Before applying for a visa under this route you must have a job offer and a certificate of sponsorship from your potential employer. The job that you have been offered must pay the ‘appropriate salary’ which is usually at least £26,200 per year (the ‘appropriate salary’ for certain professions is higher – please contact us for more guidance). You must also meet the English language requirement and have the appropriate level of savings available.

English language requirement

Skilled Worker applicants must show that they meet the English language requirement at CEFR level B1 in all four components (reading, writing, speaking, and listening).


You must have at least £1,270 in your bank for a minimum of 28 days before you apply. If you have been in the UK with a valid visa for 12 months before you apply, you do not need to show any savings.

How long will my skilled worker visa last

A Skilled Worker visa is valid for a maximum of 5 years or for the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus one month, whichever is the shortest.

After you have completed 5 years on a Skilled Worker visa you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Can I bring my family to the UK?

Yes. Your partner (if you are unmarried, you must have lived together for 2 years) and your children under 18 can come to the UK with you. If you are already in the UK, your children aged over 18 can remain with you if they are currently in the UK as your dependents.

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK. They will need:

  • £285 for your partner
  • £315 for one child
  • £200 for each additional child

Appeal rights

There is no full right of appeal if a Skilled Worker application is refused, instead, you must apply for administrative review. In an administrative review, a refusal will not be overturned if the applicant has failed to provide a specified document or made an error with their application. It is therefore crucial to ensure that any application is well prepared, thoroughly checked, and submitted by a qualified and experienced immigration specialist to avoid refusal of the application and loss of fees paid.

Further information and advice

If you have any questions about Skilled Worker visas or if you would like to talk about your case and discuss how we can help you, please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about immigration requirements and not for the preparation of an application for leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom).