Tier 2 (General) visa

Tier 2 (General) visas

Please note – the Tier 2 (General) route been replaced by the Skilled Worker route. This page is for historical information purposes only.

The Tier 2 (General) visa is now the main route for skilled workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) coming to the United Kingdom to take up employment. Before applying for a visa under this route you must have a job offer and a certificate of sponsorship from your potential employer. The job that you have been offered must pay the ‘appropriate salary’ which is usually at least £25,000 per year (the ‘appropriate salary’ for certain professions is higher – please contact us for more guidance). You must also meet the English language requirement and have the appropriate level of savings available.


You must have at least £945 (plus £630 per family member) in your bank for a minimum of 90 days before you apply.

How long will my visa last

A Tier 2 (General) visa is valid for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days or for the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus one month, whichever is shortest.

After you have completed 5 years on a Tier 2 (General) visa you can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Can I bring my family to the UK?

Yes. Your partner (if you are unmarried you must have lived together for 2 years) and your children under 18 can come to the UK with you. If you are already in the UK, your children aged over 18 can remain with you if they are currently in the UK as your dependant.

Appeal rights

Unfortunately, there is no longer a full right of appeal if a Tier 2 visa application is refused, instead an applicant must apply for administrative review. In an administrative review a refusal will not be overturned if the applicant has failed to provide a specified document or made an error with their application. It is therefore crucial to ensure that any application made under the Points Based System is prepared, thoroughly checked and submitted by a qualified and experienced immigration specialist to avoid refusal of the application and loss of fees paid.

Further information and advice

If you have any questions about Tier 2 (General) visas or if you would like to talk about your case and to discuss how we can help you, please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at info@hsic.co.uk.

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about immigration requirements and not for preparation of an application for leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom).