EEA Permanent Residence

EEA Permanent Residence

After an EEA national, or their family members, have lived in the United Kingdom for 5 years they are entitled to apply for a document confirming their permanent residence. You must provide proof that you’ve been a qualified person or the family member of a qualified person for 5 years. A qualified person is:

  • A worker;
  • A self-employed person;
  • A student;
  • A jobseeker; or
  • A self-sufficient person

An EEA national and their family members do not have to apply for a permanent residence document but the Home Office now require an EEA national to apply for a Permanent Residence document before they can apply for British citizenship.

If you are an EEA national living in the United Kingdom who wants to secure British citizenship before the United Kingdom leaves the EU you must apply for a permanent residence document.

Contact us

Contact us to speak to our EEA law experts for advice of assistance on any EEA matter. Please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about EEA requirements).