EEA Residence Cards

EEA Residence Cards

A Residence Card is a document issued to a non-EEA national who is the family member of an EEA national who themselves has permanent residence or is a qualified person. A qualified person is:

  • A worker;
  • A self-employed person;
  • A student;
  • A jobseeker; or
  • A self-sufficient person

A non-EEA national family member does not need a residence card to live in the UK unless they are the extended family member of the qualified person. Extended family members include the qualified person’s:

  • brother or sister
  • cousin
  • aunt or uncle
  • niece or nephew
  • relative from a different generation, such as a great-aunt, great-nephew or second cousin
  • relative by marriage
  • unmarried partner in a lasting relationship

A non-EEA national extended family member must apply for a residence card. Other non-EEA national family members may find it useful to apply for a Residence Card as it can:

  • help you re-enter the country more quickly and easily if you travel abroad
  • show employers you’re allowed to work in the UK
  • help prove you qualify for certain benefits and services

Obtaining a residence card may also assist with a future application for permanent residence.

Contact us

Contact us to speak to our EEA law experts for advice of assistance on any EEA matter. Please call us on 0121 698 2187 or alternatively email us at

You can also use our free immigration advice service (this is suitable for general enquiries about EEA requirements).